Whether or not winter storm damage is covered by your homeowners insurance policy will depend on the type of policy you have and the type of damage that occurs.
Most standard homeowners insurance policies provide coverage for winter-related storm damage that occurs as a result of wind, snow, ice, freezing rain, and severe temperatures. You’ll want to review your homeowners policy to find out which wintertime perils are specifically covered. If you are currently looking for home insurance visit Utility Saving Expert, you will find the coverage you want at an affordable cost.
It is important to note that standard homeowners insurance policies do not provide coverage for flood damage. So if your home has suffered damage from winter-related flooding (e.g., a heavy snow melt), you generally won’t be covered unless you have a separate flood insurance policy in place. If you have already tried to claim your damage and flood restoration costs then you already know how frustrating this can be. Frustrations and costs are multiplied tenfold when these disasters happen.
You can check out AtlantaWaterDamagePro.com to see what services they provide to restore your house or business from flood or any other water damage.
Finally, if your home suffers damage while you leave it unattended during the winter, you’ll have some additional issues to consider. For example, certain homeowners policies have exclusions for damages that result from a home not being properly winterized (e.g., not shutting off the water and draining the pipes) or a home being left unoccupied for a long period of time (e.g., more than 30 days).
While your insurance may provide some coverage for winter storm damage or for a Stump Grinding Service in Durham, still the best option is to take steps to prevent winter-related damage from occurring in the first place. Nothing ruins a cold winter morning like having to call for window replacement and freezing indoors in the meantime. The following are some tips to help protect your home from harsh winter weather:
- Clean your gutters and downspouts so that melting snow can flow freely away from your home
- Inspect and repair roof shingles and flashing to prevent water damage
- Trim tree branches on your property. Contact Tree Service in Marietta, GA | TreeQuote to request a free quote.
- Apply weather stripping and caulking around doors and windows and inspect storm doors and windows for broken glass. Arizona door and window installation and replacement company – Arizona Door Store is at your disposal.
- Drain water from pipes leading to exterior faucets and remove garden hoses
- Insulate pipes that are susceptible to freezing
- Have your heating system cleaned and inspected
Call G. Fedale for a free damage assessment! Gfedaleroof.com